Its the month of celebration as the fourth of July approaches! Additionally, we are halfway through the year and life is coming back to normal and so are we at Grand Rapids Sports & Social Club! There are lots of fireworks here from important dates and information to the great things happening in Grand Rapids, so stay put for the show!
#KeepPlaying #SocialSports #PlaySocialSports #HappyFourthOfJuly
Themes of the Month:
Week 4: July 25-31
Theme: Red, White, & Blue
Week 6: August 8-14
Theme: Western Ranch
Bars are back! Michigan is back in action as Whitmer lifted COVID restrictions. What this means for you is our sponsored bars are ready to serve you!
The Log Cabin
2401 Division Ave SE
$5.50 domestic pitchers
$3 wells, all domestic pints and bottles, Jagr bombs, and UV vodka bombs
Food: $6.95 boneless wings w/ fries, and $5.95 bacon cheese tater tots
New!!! B.F Burrito on special and will be a challenge soon. Sm $9.95 LG $17.95.. fries, bbq sauce, pulled pork, brisket, bacon and Mac n cheese all rolled in a delicious shell!
QUINN & TUITE’S IRISH PUB
1535 Plainfield Ave NE
$6.50 domestic pitchers and daily shot specials. Cheap yet delicious eats via Rinaldi’s Pizza next door!
Player of the month: Eric Benney
This months GRSSC Player of the month is Eric Benney. It is not because of his poor attendance but his energy, support, and charisma. Every week Eric was always supporting his team whether it be in the game or on the sideline, and with his commentary it’s hard not to laugh. He will be the first to pick you up and the first to make you laugh, and its a plus that his volleyball skills are quite nice. If you see him at leagues make sure to say hi!
Quick facts about Eric:
- Has been playing at GRSCC for three years
- He believes that he embodies coach Ed Orgeron
- His life theme song: Intoxicated- Martin Solveig & GTA
- If he could tell one thing to the world it would be: Back Dat Ace Up & Geaux Tigers!
FROM CLASSMATES TO TEAMMATES
Back Dat Ace 2.0 is one of the most lively teams of Summer Session 1, possibly more than Back Dat Ace 1.0. How did they come a team? The team consists of Steve, Joey, Chloe, Bri, and David all of which attended Grand Valley. Joey is the core of this group as he was friends with all four and brought them together. First is David, who met Joey freshman year because they both lived in Stafford hall. The following year, Steve and a mutual friend would end up at Joey’s apartment, the two bonded over doing things college kids do… It was around the same time that Chloe met Joey as Joey was having fun with one of her friends. A couple years later Chloe and Bri would meet in Grad school. Eventually, a mutual friend was realized: Joey. Bri knew Joey from club volleyball in college. This group of friends have made it through college and even stick together today. They love to do fun things together, and recently took a vacation together which Steve was not invited to. Despite all growing up they continue to grow their friendship here at Grand Rapids Sports and Social Club.
Here are a few things and changes that have happened in the Grand Rapids area within the past few weeks.
- A few days weeks back, Whitmer announced that all COVID-19 epidemic orders on gatherings and masking were to be lifted June 22, meaning that’s in effect now! #Staysafe #Protectothers #Havefunwhilebeingresponsible
- 12-year old girl and her mom planned a walking Pride Parade in Alger Heights in solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community and representing that “Pride is being accepted for whoever you are”.
- The Grand Rapids Public Schools are combating the continual matter of youth hunger by providing free lunches and more during the summer for those who need it. Please be an advocate and share this information to those who need that extra support during these hot summer days and these difficult times. More information can be found here.
What’s happening around Grand Rapids?
- Head over to the Grand Rapids Art Music and check out the American Perspectives: Stories from the American Folk Art Museum Collection showcases more than 80 folk art projects, from paintings and pottery to quilts, needlework, and sculpture. Now open!
- Fifth Third Bank Summer Concerts at Meijer Gardens include 30 shows by big-name touring artists, starting in July. Click here for the lineup.
Need a fun and entertaining event for the summer. Check out Movies in the Park for a series of various outdoor movies at different parks around the city: Dates from July 17- August 21.
- Roger Federer Pulls Out of French Open: The 20-time Grand Slam tournament champion withdrew after a brutal third-round match that lasted until an early Sunday morning. This is major news for the professional Swiss tennis player at this time in his career. We wonder what the future will hold for him!
Sport Events of the Summer
Tennis: The Championships, Wimbledon (You can still catch the last few days!)
– What: Grass-court Tennis Grand Slam
– When: 28 June to 11 July 2021
– Where: Wimbledon, London
Tokyo Olympic Games!!!
– When: Friday 23 July to Sunday 8 August 2021
– Where: Tokyo, Japan
Football (Or as Americans refer to it as ‘Soccer’): Florida Cup 2021
– Where: Camping World Stadium, Orlando
– Sunday 25 July: Arsenal vs. Inter Milan; Everton vs. Millonarios FC
– Wednesday 28 July: third-fourth placed game and the final
Men’s golf: Capital One’s The Match
– Who: Phil Mickelson & Tom Brady vs. Bryson DeChambeau & Aaron Rodgers
– When: Tuesday 6 July 2021
– Where: The Reserve at Moonlight Basin, Big Sky, Montana, USA
When you’re not joining us outdoors exercising our bodies, we recommend exercising the minds with a few of these great summer reads!
- Truth Worth Telling by Scott Pelley
- Beautiful Things: A Memoir by Hunter Biden
- One Line Drive: A Life-Threatening Injury and a Faith-Fueled Comeback by Daniel Ponce de Leon, Tom Zenner
- Yearbook by Seth Rogen
- Big Time by Jen Spyra
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet
- Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam
- The War of the Poor by Eric Vuillard
- The Lamplighters by Emma Stonex
- The 5 Disciplines of Inclusive Leaders: Unleashing the Power of All of Us by Andrés T. Tapia and Alina Polonskaia
- Ten Lessons for a Post-Pandemic World by Fareed Zakaria
- The River of Consciousness by Oliver Sacks
- Rabbits by Terry Miles
- The Saints of Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton
- Exhalation by Ted Chiang
Mark Your Calendars 📅
Wacky Holidays in July
- July is known for being the National Hot Dog Month, so what better way to have a BBQ and enjoy some social activities with friends and family, while being respectful to the guidelines suggested by Michigan.
- July 1: Creative Ice Cream Flavors Day 🍦
- July 2: “I forgot” day 🧱
- July 6: National Fried Chicken Day 🍗
- July 13: National French Fries Day 🍟
- July 14: National Macaroni and Cheese Day 🧀
- July 24: National Tequila Day! 🥃
- July 31: National Watermelon Day 🍉
This Months Brew was Crafted By:
Jr. at Michigan State University studying major in Communication and minor in public relations & Entrepreneurship
Natanya De Jong
Senior at Calvin University majoring in Business Administration and Kinesiology with a concentration in Sports Management
Fun Facts about Kyle:
- Current Goals: Graduate before he turns 21
- Played basketball all my life
- Plans to move to Los Angeles after graduation
- Spirit animal: Tiger
- If he could play one song for the rest of his life it would be: Tap- Nav ft. Meek Mill
- If he could tell the world one thing: “Stay fly, stay fye. Follow me on Insta!”
- Was called KEVIN by this months Player of the Month all season.
Fun Facts about Natanya
- Current Goals: To be able to build back the strength in my foot to run a marathon again.
- Sports played: Soccer most of her life but quit before college because she took to many L’s that landed her in the doctors office too many times to count
- Spirit animal: Beluga whale
- Lived in ✨The Bahamas✨ for 12 years and plans to possibly move to the PNW over summer 2022.
- What she does for fun: Scuba-dive with sharks in The Bahamas late at night, binge 3 seasons of a Netflix show in one sitting or sleep
Take This Quiz To Tell Us Your One Song 🎵:
We are trying to create a playlist for our players to listen to at leagues! Click on the link below to give us any music suggestions and tell us your one special song!